Implementation of events in Linux Kernel

Hi All,
Please excuse me if this is not the right place to post this question.
      I have an application which runs on MIPS with Embedded Linux. I
want to write a char driver . I have a Rx Task and an Interrupt
handler for the char driver which will let me know if anything comes
at the chip level.

      Assuming its pSOS or other real time operating systems one of
handling an interrupt is sending an event to the Rx Task then Rx Task
will read from the whatever buffer it may be.

       If I want to implement the same thing in Linux at the kernel
level treating my driver as a module. How ( what system call ) can I
pass an event to the task such that it receives the event and reads
from the buffer ?

      One more question in general what are all the various exceptions
or Traps I have to look while writing a Linux Device Driver.

Thanks in Advance for all your help.

Thanks
Rakesh

Do you Yahoo!?