Reserved memory during kernel boot time?

Hi,

During my target boot up, I could see the following message getting printed
for 2.4.18 kernel:

Memory: 12660k/12928k available (1689k kernel code, 268k reserved, 1512k
data, 72k init, 0k highmem)

I would like to know what is this reserved memory of 268K?
AFAIK, it is static kernel data structures (please correct me if I am
wrong).

Is there any way of knowing how much reserved memory a kernel would need by
looking at the compile time size of the vmlinux? Is this reserved memory
configurable kind of a thing? How much importance should we attach to this
reserved memory once the boot process is complete? Is this reserved memory
completely released for use to the applications?

My interest is obviously in trying to understand and ensure that it is as
low as possible so that maximum RAM is available for run time usage of the
applications.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome,

~Syam