Re: Page Physical Address and pte

Thanks for the reply.

I think I found the answer. 'pte_t' is a 20 bytes base physical address of a page with the Least 12 bytes LSB as flags for the hardware control. So to get the address, I just have to mask the 'pte_t' value that I have in the kernel with PAGE_MASK (FFFFF000).

If you want to access the page content of a page, do it with the virtual adress. Th adress will be automaticely translated in a physical adress. This job is done by the MMU.

But I am in a kernel mode. How do I use MMU? And I want to scan the whole pages not just accessing a particular address.

How do I know the size of the page that's filled though? I can't see that information from the page struct.

A page on Linux i386 is always 4ko long.

I don't think they are always filled 4 kb right? Are the rest of the page zeroed out before they are filled? So a partial filled page would have the rest of the page filled with zero. So I can still look to it wihtout any error just 0x00.

Kuas.

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/