Re: Exchange Date Userspace<->Kernel

Danilo Reinhardt wrote:
Hi,
hello,

I want to develop a driver that exchanges/modifies data between 2
devices. Now I try to find out whats the best way to do this.

Maybe u should only make one driver :)
I think there are 2 ways to do it, the first by doing all work inside
the driver, and the secondy by passing the data from the driver to an
userspace programm which handles and forwards the data to the second
device.

Whats the fastest way to exchange data between the kernel and a
userspace process and how fast is it?
The function get_user() and put_user() are used to get and put data in user space and from user space. Have a look at some books. But in ur case it's not a good idea.

And on the other side, whats the best way to exchange data inside the kernel between 2 devices (which are handled by the same driver!).

Well, all the threads of the kernel runs in the same adress space. So from ur driver u can access all the data of the kernel (so of your running drivers). But don't forget to export your symbols on your drivers !
Thanks for all replies!

Bye Dan

Bye :) and i hope i've brought u some help :p