Re: Using Kgdb with a single machine

Naoya Maruyama <naoya@matsulab.is.titech.ac.jp> writes:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:27:31 -0500
> Ed L Cashin <ecashin@uga.edu> wrote:
>> It used to be possible, though, to use kgdb between two VMWare
>> machines, all on one physical host.
>>
>> I did that with 2.5.73 on x86 by configuring the virtual machines'
>> virtual serial ports to go through a special file on the physical
>> host.
>>

> Could you explain how to do that in more detail? I want to debug an
> experimental kernel on a virtual machine of VMWare from another kernel
> from another virtual machine by kgdb. Is that possible?

Yes, that's what I did.  You need a host with a lot of RAM.  I don't
think it would be helpful for me to give precise instructions, since I
have forgotten a lot of details and my software may be different from
yours.  It's better to refer you to the document I got the
instructions from:

  http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/devices_serial_ws.html

See the section, Connecting Two Virtual Machines, Linux Host.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/