how to know when much page reclamation

Hi.  I can choose one of two different related things in userland, and
one takes more physical memory than the other but runs faster.

Looking at the number of free pages in the system doesn't really tell
me whether memory is "tight" or not.  There could be plenty of pages
being used for caches, and at the first sign of memory pressure, those
caches may shrink.

The best way I can think of to know whether memory is really tight is
to measure how often shrink_zone is getting called.  (I'm looking at a
2.6.0-test11 kernel.)

I can add some light instrumentation to track the rate at which
shrink_zone gets called and a system call to make that rate visible to
userland.  Is there an existing way already in place or a better way
to know when memory is tight?

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/