Re: Some questions about kernel 2.6

"Wouter Coppens" <wouter.coppens@dedigate.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> We would like to run 2.6 on a server, but I have a question about some
>
> * Symmetric multi-processing support:
>   What happens if we enable this and run it on a uni-processor system?

Nothing bad should happen.  (If there are certain bugs in the kernel,
they may not manifest in a UP-kernel, though.)

> Will it run slower?

It's unlikely, but you might be able to measure a difference.  One
thing that comes to mind is spinlocks.  They get compiled away if you
configure for a uniprocessor, but they take a few instructions on a
SMP-enabled kernel.  Test it and see.

> * Preemptible Kernel:
>   This should be used on a desktop PC. Is it better to enable or disable
> it on a system that is used only as a server or firewall?

It's a fairly new feature, so I've been avoiding it so far.  On the
other hand, they added this feature for a reason, so you could
benchmark both versions and see if there's enough of a performance
improvement with preempt to justify using it.

Incidentally, I did hear some kernel hacker mention that they wanted
preempt to become not-turn-offable sometime in the future.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/