Acquiring an i2c adapter.

Hello,

I've resolved my trouble with the aparently deprecated function i2c_get_client. One response I had indicated it was no longer used because of locking issues.

The method I'm using is to attach a dummy driver to the adapter I'm
interested in, the i2c-voodoo3 module, then use a derivative of the
i2c_clients_command function.

At present in the 2.4 kernel, my i2c_driver->attach_adapter function has
to do a string cmp on the adapter name to get the right adapter.  The
i2c-voodoo3 module provides an i2c and a ddc bus, and there is no other
way to distinguish them.

This can all be found in the voodoo-i2c.c file at the v3tv site below. This file still has optional support for the v3tv-i2c_adapter, with the INCLUDE_I2C define.

I'm confused by the i2c_get_adapter function.  The prototype has an
argument called 'id' yet the function examines the 'nr' member of the
i2c_adapter struct.

I was going to use i2c_get_adapter, but would be better served if adapters could be identified by the 'class' field, which would be I2C_ADAP_CLASS_TV_ANALOG for the v3tv, bttv and family.

What is the actual intent of the i2c_get_adapter function?

Thanks,

Perry
-----
V3TV: http://gilfillan.org:8000/v3tv/