VM benchmarking help?

Hi all,

Are there any resources that detail how to effectively benchmark the VM? How do I write test cases that are accurate and representative of certain usages? Under what environment(s) should these tests be run (e.g. is running under UML unhelpful?)? What metrics should be measured: time, number of faults, swapping, allocations, deallocations, etc.? What's the best format to report these findings and tweak them? Might a good first step might be to run other's test cases and provide more data points? If so, where can these tests - and directions on how to execute them - be found?

I'd like to help out but I need some guidance in doing so :)

Thanks!
Kirk