Re: 2.6.x kernels - use of exported symbols/functions

well in fact, i wanted to use my local network card's start_xmit function.
so i made a function ptr to the memory region where
the function resided.

when i call the function with the appropriate arguments, i get a kernel oops that
complains about
"Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ...".

well is it actually possible to call that function directly to
instruct the NIC to deliver a packet?

if yes,  how would i do that?
calling the function doesnt work as described above.

thank you

threadhead

><threadhead@web.de> writes:

>> hello list,
>>
>> i am using the 2.6 kernel series and would like to make use exported functions
>> that are listed in /proc/kallsyms.
>>
>> simply using a LKM and call a function listed there results in
>> 'implicit declaration of ...'.
>
>That means that the compiler found a use of the function before you
>declared it.  Prototypes declare functions.  You can put the
>prototypes into your .c file or include a kernel header file that has
>the prototype for the function you're using.

>> how is it possible to make use of exported functions/symbols in
>> 2.6.x kernels?
>
>--
>--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
>  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

Nachrichten, Musik und Spiele schnell und einfach per Quickstart im
WEB.DE Screensaver - Gratis downloaden: http://screensaver.web.de/?mc=021110