Re: Help me Urgently,I Have to port a MPEG Decoder Program ,TCP/IP stack in UC/OSII Linux to an ARM Booard

Am Dienstag, 27. Januar 2004 14:26 schrieb GEORGE JOSEPH:
> Hi All,
>
>    I have a project To port and MP3 Decoder,TCP/IP
> Stack in UC/OSII Linux Kernel 2.0.38 to an ARM Board
		^^^

Do you mean uClinux? Then the following site might be a good reference
for you:

http://www.uclinux.org

> 1)What is porting Code and how do I do it.
Porting code simply means that you take code which already runs on
another architecture i.e x86, and alter it, so that it runs on your
ARM-Board. Perhaps the uClinux-Site might be a good start as well.

> 3)How do u compress the OS to fit onto the Board
> FLASH.

I played around with an ARM-Board during my studies also using uClinux.
First you will need a compiler that runs on your host machine, but
produces code suitable for ARM. This compiler should be part of the
uClinux-Distribution. It  also includes a program to convert elf
binarys into the under uClinux typical binary flat format (it's called
elf2flt). This will be importing especially for running your own code
on uClinux.
Regarding the kernel you should configure only the options you need for
your board. That would not be quite much. The gcc has furthermore an
option to optimize for size and for your special arm-architecture (see
man gcc for details). 3 megs should be enough, uClinux also includes a
so called "busy box" which is installed along with the kernel and
provides basic UNIX commands for administration. You will also be able
to add your own commands to this system.
IMHO the gcc options I mentioned should already be enabled  in the
uClinux kernel Makefiles, so that you need not care about them during
kernel compile, but they are importing for compiling your own code for
ARM.

I hope these informations regarding uClinux and ARM are useful for your
project. Perhaps I could also help, if you have further questions about
this topic.

Best Regards,

Marc Hinrichs
--