problem with the serail i/o port

Hi

I'm new to this group and also fairly new to low level programming.
I have a problem with programming the serial i/o port.

wat i'm doing is trying to communicate with an analog board using a
phillips I^2C bus and the serial port. I'm using as iport/AFM adapter between
the serial port of the PC and the I^2C bus of the analog board.

I was successful is communicating using the open/read/write port commands,
but i have issues relating to time.

I tried both the non-blocking and the blocking mode and both take time
in milliseconds(20-30ms) between successive write and read commands.

The processes on the analog board take microseconds and both the iport
adapter and the I2C bus are fairly fast. I DONT understand why i'm taking so
much time.

I'm also trying to command the i/o port using inb() and outb() so as
to speed up the communication. I have few questions on that.

-After i use ioperm().Do I have to configure the serial port.

-and how can i send and receive strings using inb() and outb().
I would really appreciate your patience in attending to my questions.

Vikram