Re: Help Required in starting two ppp sessions on a single Physical Device

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 16:40:56 +0800, Vanitha Ramaswami wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am running PPPD over a synchrouns serial interface (right now
> it is the sangoma serial card) and it will be soon replaced by our
> proprietary hardware. I am having only one port of the physical device
> i.e ttyWP0. But i want two sessions of ppp bind to the same physical
> device ttyWP0.
>
> Why i want to run two ppp sessions over the single physical device is
> because we will be introducing a new layer specific to our satellite systems,
> so that at Layer 1 level each ppp sessions will be running at different
> carrier frequencies. Since i have only one physical port and in need of running
> more than one ppp sessions, i am looking for a way to modify pppd.

The problem is, that the single device does not know, how to combine the
two data streams into the physical line. So either the hardware will do
the combining (and thus look as two devices to CPU and thus you will
have two devices) or you will need some code for it. This code can be
either a kernel driver for the hardware, in which case it would present
TWO devices to userland and pppd would be happy, or it can be in
userland. If it should be in userland, it would combine two streams
comming from two file descriptors. If these descriptors refer to ptys,
ppp daemons would happily run on the other ends...

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>