Re: 2.6.0 module differences

you may like to read the post halloween doc to remain in sync..of what to expect and other changes...

The module loading is different in 2.5 than in 2.4, you need to install
the new module tools (and the new command is "modprobe"):
 	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/
A good thing to read is the post-Halloween document:
	http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt
which details the major differences between 2.4 and 2.5

Hope this helps...
Dp

Paul Gearon wrote:
Hi all,

I finally bit the bullet and moved to 2.6.0-test9, only now I find myself back to square one with the modules I've written.

The modules I compiled for 2.4.x are all built as .o files, but I notice that the modules for the new kernel are .ko files. Also, while my modules compile fine, I get an error when doing an insmod:
insmod: error inserting 'modulename.o': -1 Invalid module format

This is all to be expected, and I was anticipating making changes to my code with the move to the 2.6.x series. However, it would be nice if someone could point me to some docs which will get me up to speed quickly, rather than having to sift through documents for days looking for this stuff.

Can anyone help please?

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/