Re: Not convincing yet (c vs c++)

nix wrote:
Hi guys Well I read the faq and all the arguements but they are not convinicing. They 'had' tried to make one kernel with c++ but it did not live upto the expectations (space time drawbacks). The drawbacks are those of a the "then" c++ compilers. the compilers must have been become better. There is this Intel 7.0 c++ compier released which seems to be a competitor to the Gnu's Compiler maybe with that one...(who knows). Conceptually c++ beats c anytime, but is limited in the practicality (as semed in those days). Things must have changed with the compiler technology and we must have better c++ compilers now.
Other arguments that c code being better than c++ (all compiler dependent and an age old myth; if anyone can prove this, then aggreed), many c users etc, are not firmly based. So until one shows the advantages of a c++ based kernel, c still rules. C is a subset of c++ and even linear logic with functions and structures can be used. So i dont see why not go for it. What ultimately matters is concepts and applications of concepts. why simulate object oriented concept in c when c++ already defines a clean way
to do it. maybe the compiler is not good aggreed, fine. But with a farsighted perspective it is only a matter of time we would have a vey good c++ compiler. The code can still be ported, cant it?

Look, this comes up every so often here and on lkml. Go Googling if you want answers to all of this.

If you still think C++ is the way to go, create a C++ branch of the kernel sources and maintain it. Google for some other people who have done exploratory work in this area--you may even find some patches to get started. Find the C++ kernel you mention above and use a modern compiler on it and see how much it has improved.

Otherwise, you are just adding to the noise here and wasting our time, and I would like to encourage you to persue other topics.

C-ya, ;)

Eli
--------------------. "If it ain't broke now,
Eli Carter           \                  it will be soon." -- crypto-gram