can't get 2.6-test8 kernel to boot

Hi,

This is my first attempt at kernel compiling. I downloaded the new 2.6-test8
(yes, this was last week). Compiled it according to the Linux Kernel How-to
(that is, make dep, make bzImage, made modules, make install_modules, cp
/arch/.../bzImage /boot/bzImage...

So far, so good.

I configure GRUB to include the new kernel.

When I attempt to boot the new kernel, I get "init not found". This
problem is discussed in sec 19.4 of the kernel how-to. However, the only
fix offered is to check settings in LILO. I don't want to use LILO, I like
GRUB.

The fix suggested is to insure that the "root=" parameter is correctly set
in /etc/lilo.conf. I do not know where the equivalent file is in grub, my
best guess is grub.conf. Here is my grub.conf file. The first entry is my
working RedHat kernel. The second is my compiled but not booting 2.6
kernel.

Any ideas?

thanks,

glenn

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title Badger Build Linux (2.6.0-test8)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.0-test8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.0-test8.img