Differences between VM structs

Hi all,

I apologize to ask these questions here, but I got no response from the newbies list...

1. Regarding non-contiguous memory allocation, what is the need to

       have *virtually* contiguous but not *physically* contiguous
       pages?
    2. UtLVMM says that vmalloc is only used in the kernel for storing
       swap information - yet it's used by a bunch of drivers which
       are considered part of the kernel; is it just semantics?
    3. Is vmalloc called from user-mode ever?
    4. Can you state a succint/brief comparison of the difference
       between kmalloc, malloc, and vmalloc with usage examples of each?
    5. Anonymous memory is memory that is *not* backed by a file, such
       as the stack or heap space, right? And mmap is called when
       mapping files into memory, right? The why does mmap deal with
       anonymous memory (sorry, I'm totally confused here)?

TIA!
Kirk