asynchronous i/o

Hello

I have a couple of questions about aio and linux's implementation of it.

1. What's the difference between i/o being done asynchronously within the
kernel and external apps using aio thru some api. I've read this post
http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2002.06/msg00500.html
and it's a little confusing. From what I understand all i/o is routed thru the
kernel, so if the kernel does it asynchronously so should any applications.

2. What kind of support would an application require for an aio implementation
for network operations or sockets. I presume that the current aio
implementation for 2.5/2.6 doesn't support sockets, right?

Again (related to 1) if networking is done asynchronously, according to the
above link, then why would an application require asynchronous sockets?

thanks

Adeel

Scanned by  MailScan Anti-Virus and Content Security Software.
Visit http://www.mwti.net for more info on eScan and MailScan.