Asynchronous I/O

Hi guys,

Before I begin, I must apologize if this is not entirely kernel related.

I am reading up on server scalability and from what I have gathered,
there are basically 3 different implementations to achieving a scalable
server.

- poll
- completion signaling
- asynchronous i/o

I came across this kernel patch for asychronous i/o, but the development
stops at 2.4.0. Is there a path for 2.4.18?
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kaio/

I noticed that the patch differs from the aio in glibc. Will there be
conflict in aio if the patch and the glibc exist in the same box?

Also, what are your comments on the above 3 methods? Which will be the
best in terms of enduring many connections/second?

Thanks for any advices!

regards,
jon.