Kernel processes

Hi,

I have a few questions about kernel processes and when system calls
are made.

When you open a normal data file from within a program and start
reading from and writing to it, does the backend of the library being
used always use open, close, read, write? If so, then for each one of
these calls, does the system switch to kernel mode?

Doing a `ps aux` on linux, I get the following kernel processes:

[ksoftirqd/0]
[events/0]
[kblockd/0]
[pdflush]
[pdflush]
[kswapd0]
[aio/0]
[aio_fput/0]
[kseriod]
[kjournald]
[khubd]
[kjournald]
[reiserfs/0]

Is the entire kernel functionality implemented in these processes only?

If so, in which process is scheduling and interrupt handling done?  Which
process handles the switch between processes? Which process services
system calls? Which process handles the switch between kernel space
and user space?

If not, where is the other kernel functionality implemented? How is it
accessed? How is it managed (in terms of scheduling, resource
allocation,  etc)?

I can guess the answers to some of the questions, but I cannot think
of satisfactory answers to all so that they fit together. Perhaps I
have not thought hard enough. Perhaps I am thinking down the wrong
path. If there is documentation, please point me to it.

Thanks,

	- Apurva