Need to do a research project in linux kernel.

Hi all,
I am doing M-Tech graduation in computer and information science from Cochin
university of Science and technology, India. Right now I am in the final year
of my course. I have to do my curriculum project in this final year. For my
graduation B-Tech(CS) I had done a device driver project. So I know some
basics of the linux kernel plus I have sound knowledge in C.

Now I got one year of time to complete my project. I am really looking for a
research oriented project.
I would like to building a new featured OS or something like that. Or
rebuilding the Linux kernel to add some functionalities which I would prefer.

Any way I'll select a project in two weeks of time.

Please give some suggetions and guidance upon this.
Anticipating your reply,

Regards,

Shine Mohamed Jabbar
3rd Semester M.Tech(CIS)
Cochin University of Science And Technology(CUSAT),
Kochi-22
India
shine@cusat.ac.in
www.cusat.ac.in