Re: Interoperability among kernel/modules compiled with differentversion of gcc

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 08:47, Bikram Kumar Gupta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I tried to load a particular modem module using insmod, it gave an
> error like:
>
> "You're trying to insert a module which is compiled with gcc version 3,
> whereas your kernel is built with gcc version 2. They're known not to
> work".
>
> I believe the version refers to gcc 3.2 and 3.3 respectively. So I will
> have to rebuild my kernel using existing gcc on my system and try insert
> the module.

Most likely part of your module is compiled with gcc 2.x

> However, I have these questions:
>
> - gcc being a code-generation tool, in what way it affects the interoperability
>   amoung kernel/modules?

the ABI changes subtly between gcc versions, and, more importantly, the
kernel has workarounds for gcc bugs in its interfaces that are or are
not there depending on what gcc you compile the code with.
As a result, mixing versions is a bad idea.