Re: Semaphores in multiprocessor systems.

Magnus Myrefors <tkv764x@tninet.se> [2003-07-17 13:51]:
> > On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 03:08:16PM +0200, Magnus Myrefors wrote:
> > > I wonder if it is considered to be a multiprocessor-system in linux if
> > > you install linux on two pc's and connect them with ethernet or a bus
> > > ?
> >
> > No, it's called a cluster. In a wider sense it is a multiprocessor
> > system, but I suppose you wanted to say "SMP system", which it is not.
> >
> > SMP (Symetric MultiProcessing) system is a system, that contains several
> > processors connected to a common bus and sharing a single memory unit.
> >
> > Note: You _can't_ connect two computers with a local bus.
> >

>   Continuing on the local approach:
>     (In the case  when you are about to send data between pc1 and pc2 using
> a bus
>     and don't use regular packages)

So you have distributed system!

>     Then if you use a single test to check if it's ok for the
> receiving pc to start reading the data protected by the "spin lock"
> type of semaphor it should be possible to loose data if the sending
> pc works faster than the receiving.  To avoid that you could number
> the chunks of data in an ascending manner and perhaps using some of
> the bandwith of the bus to exchange information about the current
> chunk-number.  You may also want to use two variables to check, one
> that is set to 1 (by the sender) if the sender is accessing the data
> to be transmitted and 0 if the data is avaible and the other set to
> 1 (by the receiver) if the receiver is accessing the data and to 0
> if the data is avaible.

If I correctly understand, you are probably implementing something
similar to the TCP sliding windows approach.  Keywords to look for
are:  Selective Retransmission, Sliding Windows, Go-Back-N Approach
-- this could help understanding the issue.

Please correct if I am wrong totaly, i.e. have not got your point.

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf           | Wanna know anything about raw |
<http://www.lpr.ch> | IP?  <http://www.rawip.org>   |