Process-size and VmSize

Hello,

Can sombody tell me how the first column of /proc/<pid>/statm is
defined? That's SIZE or VIRT in "top". It is always less or equal
VmSize.

SIZE seems to be the amount of virtual memory that is resident in either
main memory (= column RES) or swap.

But this can't be true in every case, because I can easily create
processes that have a greater SIZE than the total main memory (without
using any swap). I tried to mmap a 1GB area of /dev/mem with
linux-2.4.21 and accessed the lower 500MB. The SIZE of the process went
up to 950MB, no swapping - with a total main memory of 512MB.

After some experimentation with mmap-ing /dev/mem, the kernel got a
brain-damage and crashed several times in the mm-code, so I'm not sure
if I have a clue what I'm doing. :-)

Thanks,
Thomas.