Re: Kernel boot switching question

If you have two kernels compiled, then you put the bzImage files in /boot
directory named, say, linuz-2.4.18 and linuz-2.4.20.

Then edit /etc/lilo.conf and add the following:

image=/boot/linuz-2.4.18
	label=linux18
	root=/dev/hda1 (or check where your root filesystem is)
	read-only

image=/boot/linuz-2.4.20
	label=linux20
	root=/dev/hda1 (again)
	read-only

Then just say "lilo" in the command line.

Reboot your machine and - voila - ou can choose what kernel to boot.

Kernel modules are saved in /lib/modules/2.4.18 and /lib/modules/2.4.20 for
each of your kernels separately. The proper modules are loaded automatically
depending on the current running kernel.

Good luck!