Re: fork() returns on parent but not returns on child

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 10:50:13AM +0200, Nir Livni wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am experiencing a problem, where fork() returns succesfully on parent, but
> does not return on child.
> The child process simply "disappears".
> I believe it might have got a SIGSEGV (if it makes any sence) before fork()
> has returned.
>
> I would like to track down this problem.
> What I did so far is:
> 1. I tried first to make sure there are no memory overruns using few tools.
> 2. I tried to look at strace output, but the problem does not occur if I use
> strace
> 3. I made a UserModeLinux machine
> and now I would like to breakpoint the created child before it crashes
> (assuming it really crashes)
>
> How do I do that ?

You should put try to put breakpoint in the fork syscall's return path.
gdb tracing the machine from outside traces the kernel mode and does not
make difference between tasks.

If it turns out to crash after it returns, tt mode umlinux with debug
could be able to trace across return to userland, though I have never
actually tried it. (Skas mode is pretty much out of chance here).

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>