Kernel compilation/booting problem

Hi folks,
I am having some problems woth recompiling and booting with the kernel
(2.4.20-8).
I did the following
added a few tried and tested files
changed the top level makefile EXTRAVERSION to "test" from "-8".
make menuconfig dep bzImage modules and modules_install.

The compilation proceeds fine (though make modules takes a _long_ time.)
 I copied the bzImage to /boot and edited lilo.conf and ran lilo.
Iam now getting the following error.

/lib/ext.o: kernel-module version mismatch.
This module was compiled for 2.4.20-8 while this version is 2.4.20-test.
(not exact words)
ditto for /lib/jbd.o

The kernel then panics and says pass init= option.
There are no files as described in /lib
Should I not have changed the top level Makefile.or is it something in "make
modules" i missed.

I went through the README in /linux and found nothing that I missed. The only
thing I could not understand in README were the following lines.
 (under INSTALLING the kernel )
 "Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
   incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
   files.  They should match the library, and not get messed up by
   whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be."

I _am_ working in /usr/src/linux.
Can someone tell what the above means and what I am doing wrong.
Also, do I need /lib/modules/version directory to boot even if I compiled the
lernel to use modules?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Vijay