Problem with multiple ethernet cards

Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate mailing list for this
question.  If not, could someone please point out
which might be the best suited list to ask such
questions?  I have already searched the archive and I
didn't find any other question with similar issu.

I recompiled the 2.4.18-14 kernel (this is my first
time).  I want to use this kernel on a i386 box with 2
NIC cards (I use this box primarily as router).  This
router is currently running RH8 (also 2.4.18-14) and
it works well.  The new kernel loads fine except some
issues with the ethernet cards.

The ethernet cards I have are PCI Netgear FA311 (eth0)
and ISA 3Com 3c509 (eth1).  The drivers are compiled
as loadable modules in the new kernel.  The
/etc/modules.conf has two lines for loading these
'alias eth0 natsemi' and 'alias eth1 3c509'.  There
are no other lines related to eth0/1 in this file and
it works fine with RH8.

eth1 is configured with static IP address and eth0 is
configured using DHCP.  With the new kernel the eth0
prints "Determining information for eth0" or something
similar.  In my RH8 kernel it would print [OK] but for
the new kernel it prints [Failed].  eth1 comes up
fine.  If I change the protocol to static and assign
an IP address (say, 192.168.1.2) then it comes up okay
(but I still cannot use both interfaces -- there have
been misc problems).

I think the drivers are okay because if I bringup
(using ifup) only one card (doesn't matter which one)
I'm able to do ping to my other computer (this was
only with tested using static addr because my other
computer doesn't have a dhcpd).  Is there something
special I should do for two cards to work in the
kernel?

I read in the Ether-howto that when compiling in the
kernel we might need ether= option.  For modules, we
simply use modules.conf.  I don't have the "options
natsemi io=0xXXX" in my modules.conf though.  Do I
need that?  It works fine without it in RH8.  I see
that for ISA the IO Base is same in RH8 and new
kernel.  For natsemi (eth0) I see IO Base different (I
figured this is probed for PCI and since I compiled
out some USB, sound, etc I might be getting a
different address).

Any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Tuns