Re: Re: Memory allocation problem

Hi,

Thanks for immediate response. I used 2.4.20 kernel patched with bigphys
area and got it working. I know that this patch is part of Suse
distribution. Is there any plans to incorporate this patch in Redhat?
Is redhat 9.0 kernel equipped with this patch?

Rgds
Anand

On Thu, 01 May 2003 Mark_H_Johnson@Raytheon.com wrote :

>The kernel version we are using is 2.4.18 (Redhat 8.0) and the total
>amount of memory available in the box is 128MB

>Is there any other mechanism to allocate large amount of physically
>contiguous memory blocks during normal run time of the driver? Is this
>being addressed in later kernels.

I regularly use a patch (bigphysarea) recommended by Dolphin for use with
their SCI cards. The copy I use is from a relatively old kernel (2.4.4)
which applies with a few warnings but is otherwise OK. I did a quick search
with Google for
bigphysarea linux 2.4.18
and found
http://frmb.home.cern.ch/frmb/download/bigphysarea-2.4.18.patch
or a more readable page at
http://frmb.home.cern.ch/frmb/linux.html
which appears to be a version updated for 2.4.18. I believe the original
patch is maintained at
http://www.uni-paderborn.de/fachbereich/AG/heiss/linux/bigphysarea.html

There are apparently several drivers that already use this interface, but
it does require a patched kernel.

I am not aware of any effort to merge this into the main line kernel
(though I would certainly appreciate that).

--Mark H Johnson
  <mailto:Mark_H_Johnson@raytheon.com>

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/