Re: read/write from kernel module

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 07:32:41PM -0400, Haijin Yan wrote:
>   I have this kernel module, when I unload it, I want to save some meta
> data to some place and read the meta in again when the next time I load
> the module again. Since meta are huge, I can not pass them as parameters.

Most distributions have tools to save and restore the state of the system
random number generator, /dev/random, on startup and shutdown. I recommend
following a similar approach with your module: you could have a script
that loads your module and then pushes configuration information into the
kernel with a character device, proc file, or filesystem. A similar script
for shutdown could retrieve the configuration data from the module through
a character device, proc file, or filesystem, and then unload the module.

--
Demand voting integrity: http://verify.stanford.edu/evote.html