Re: mkinitrd: all loopdevices are in use

On Thu, 1 May 2003, nitin panjwani wrote:

> One more question:I am not very much sure why exactly
> is initrd image created. What If I don't create this ?
> Is there any way that I can upgrdae my kernel without
> creating initrd image.

initrd is used for loading modules that are necessary for system boot up.
For example, std RH nowadays loads ext3 module using initrd. You can avoid
this by compiling these module into your kernel.

(about your first question: Issue the mount command and look for mounted
loop devices and unmount a few of them. But I somehow don't feel that you
have used all the loop devices. It might be pointing to some other error,
which I don't know)

 --Sarin