mkinitrd: all loopdevices are in use

Hi All,
I am trying to upgraded my kernel and  while trying to
create initrd image I am getting some problem. Here it
is
I issue the command:
mkinird /boot/initrd-new.img 2.4.20

Output:
All of your loopback devices are in use.

I am not sure how should I resolve this problem. Do I
have to create any new loopback or is there any way to
release one of my loopback devices.

One more question:I am not very much sure why exactly
is initrd image created. What If I don't create this ?
Is there any way that I can upgrdae my kernel without
creating initrd image.

Thanks,
Nitin