Re: preemption patches

Hi Joachim,

> I've been playing around with the preemption patches (applied to 2.4.20) under
> http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/

I think Robert is lurking around? :-)

> Can anybody speak for the stability/usefulness of those patches applied on a
> desktop-workstation?

You might want to visit this website.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

"These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness, with emphasis on
desktop pcs. Thanks go to all the real kernel developers who made them."

Benchmarking stuffs (.4.20-ck3 / aa / rmap with contest)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104479752708560&w=2

> According to one person on the local LUG, the patch might make certain parts
> of the (2.4) kernel potentially unstable. Can somebody verify this?

1) tux (the last time I ran tux, i encountered problems).

2) win4lin (one version older).

3) another app, but i think it is not related to this preemptiveness patch.

Eugene
--