Re: Can I start a process from kernel

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:17:55AM +0530, Suseelan B Sarin wrote:
> 	When it is 48 calls, I wants to start them only when the data for
> that cahnnel starts comming to my card (I can find when it comes in).
> Now I want to start a pppd for that channel from kernel. Can
> someone help me? Any links?...

I cannot fathom why you would want to start the ppp connections from
within the kernel. It does not sound like a good idea to me. In fact,
as a user, I would be extremely skeptical of any driver starting ppp
processes from the kernel.

That said, if you're sure you want to do this, and you're positive it is
the only way to solve your problem, look at call_usermodehelper(). There
are restrictions on its use.

Check out the source as well as Linux Device Drivers, 2nd Edition. kmod is
the number-one user of call_usermodehelper(), so it would be worthwhile to
read its implementation in kernel/kmod.c. (Particularly the 2.4 version
_after_ the ptrace patch. :)

Of course, kmod.c is evidently entirely different in the 2.5 series of
kernels, which might provide a better example to learn from.

Cheers

--
Outlook users: please do not put my email address in your address book.
This way, when you get infected with a virus, my address won't appear in