Re: Routing table problem

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:58:08AM +0100, Christophe Lucas wrote:
> bdev@hss.hns.com (bdev@hss.hns.com) wrote:
> > Hi !
> >      I have this problem. I have two different network  interfaces ( A and B )
> > on  my machine. I would like to route IP packets whose destination address is
> > interface B and source address in interface A through the network, ie the packet
> > would get written to the driver for interface A, get routed through the network
> > and return to interface B where the driver for interface B would pick up the
> > packet. This however is not possible normally since the packet would get
> > internally routed within the stack and would never actually make to the physical
> > medium. Is there any work around for this which I could implement by inserting a
> > module or otherwise ?
>
> Please correct me, but you must use masquerading to do this.
> iptables is able to do this.

Yes. Except you should say NATing, because masquerading is usualy used
for the special case where you SourceNAT all outgoing packets to the
outgoing interface.

My friend tried to do something like that in BSD some time ago. It's
possible with some wild address mangling except that BSD packetfilter
seemed to be tooo bugy to handle the amount of magic needed.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>