Re: About Compact Flash...

Hi All,
First, thanks to all you guys for your help.

Yes, I think the problem was the lilo thing. or may be the MBR was screwd up. I dont know what but now its gone.

I am listing the steps here for simplicity just in case some one again runs into the same problem...

assuming a) that the cf is hde. b) syslinux is download from the net.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hde bs=1440k count 10
(this will set zero to everything till count 10. It took my 1 day to figure that out. )

do fdisk. Make 1 paritions of dos. Size 2 Mb. and "dont forget" to make it bootable.

mkfs.msdos /dev/hde1

mount /dev/hde1 to a mount point.

copy vmlinux, initrd.img and syslinux.cfg. I took the rescue disk one. Do modify the parameters of syslinux.cfg to suite you need.

unmount /dev/hde1

next ..

dd if=./mbr.bin of=/dev/hde bs=512 count=1

(I think somehow syslinux dosent not writes the mbr or does it? there was some problem in it. So I did it myself. I dont know if I did the right thing or not. May be someone can comment on it. And for new bies, file mbr.bin is found in syslinux directory.. the one downloaded from the net.)

syslinux /dev/hde

Take out the CF and boot it. Chances are that it will boot.

Thanks to every one once agian..

Best Regards
Dp

Chris Wright wrote: