Re: About Compact Flash...

You don't Need dos.  You can use fdisk to  create the partitions and
make it a type of FAT12. Be sure to also make the first partition active
and bootable.
Here are the steps i use:

using desktop, pop CF into USB dongle.
use fdisk to delete the single parition on the CF, then
create one 2 MB (any size will do) partition, then
change its type to FAT12, then
use the rest of the disk as a linux partition.

use syslinux (downloaded origional, don't use your distro's) on
/dev/sda1.

mount /dev/sda1, copy bzImage, syslinux.cfg , umount /dev/sda1
place OS stuff (busybox, toms rboot, etc.) onto /dev/sda2

I don't use LILO when i can avoid it. Now I, and my customers, can place
a new kernel onto /dev/sda1 and avoid the hassle of redoing LILO.

Also, we've found Sandisk to be the most reliable cf out there.

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 16:07, Dhirendra Pal Singh wrote:
> okay but dosent that means that I need to have dos for that. ?
> If yes then I dont think I had dos anywhere.
> Also in anycase could you please let me know the procedure. Want to
have
> that method as a backup.
>
> Thanks
> Dp
>

> Liberty Young wrote:
>
> >I've done it with Syslinux....we have a 2 MB Dos partition, which
> >syslinux uses to obtain the kernel and it's configuration file. The
> >Second partition is all ext2, where the OS and the kernel drivers
> >reside. I've been able to use syslinux on the CF both from an pcmcia
> >cf adapter and a usb to cf adapter.
> >

> >On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 14:16, Dhirendra Pal Singh wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all,
> >>How can I make a linux bootable compact flash.
> >>Now I did do a lot of search on this on net but have not been able
to do
> >>it.
> >>I can make the file system and every thing but when it comes to
booting
> >>it, it fails. I have tried lilo as a boot manager but in vain.
> >>
> >>Any link to this porblem or if some could help would be
appreciated...