Re: Linux on a Efficient Network SpeedStream 5660 router..

Following will give you some idea, althouth this is for 802.11b

http://instant802.com/openap1.htm

Usman

Mario Lopez wrote:
Hi,

I use for my broadband connection a Efficient Network 5660 router, I have opened it to check what the hell is inside it and have seen a PowerPC board (or at least it looks like) looking at the kernel load messages through the serial cable I see messages that tell me that the router is using a PowerPC MPC850 SAR, this looks like a standard Motorola PowerPC microprocessor and maybe a sort of standard board (except for the ATM nic).

My question is... would it be possible to upload a Linux Kernel to the flash?, it actually has VxWorks wich does its job quite well (routing) but it would be interesting to try something on it, it could be a quite cheap platform for embedded development.

The only way I can think on uploading a Kernel is through the serial connection, it has a boot loader that is used to load new kernels using xmodem, but what I dont know is if the format of this image file that is uploaded I guess it may have some kind of compression.

By the type of microprocessor used I guess the board is something similar to this.

http://www.embeddedplanet.com/products/lite.asp

Has anyone tryed something similar?.

Any ideas?.. any mailing list more apropiate for this kind of questions?.

Thanks.

Mario.

Usman S. Ansari

A.L.M. This is the Book, in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah. Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them (Quraan Chapter 2, v 1-3)

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/