Linux on a Efficient Network SpeedStream 5660 router..

Hi,

I use for my broadband connection a Efficient Network 5660 router, I have opened it to check what the hell is inside it and have seen a PowerPC board (or at least it looks like) looking at the kernel load messages through the serial cable I see messages that tell me that the router is using a PowerPC MPC850 SAR, this looks like a standard Motorola PowerPC microprocessor and maybe a sort of standard board (except for the ATM nic).

My question is... would it be possible to upload a Linux Kernel to the flash?, it actually has VxWorks wich does its job quite well (routing) but it would be interesting to try something on it, it could be a quite cheap platform for embedded development.

The only way I can think on uploading a Kernel is through the serial connection, it has a boot loader that is used to load new kernels using xmodem, but what I dont know is if the format of this image file that is uploaded I guess it may have some kind of compression.

By the type of microprocessor used I guess the board is something similar to this.

http://www.embeddedplanet.com/products/lite.asp

Has anyone tryed something similar?.

Any ideas?.. any mailing list more apropiate for this kind of questions?.

Thanks.

Mario.