Re: bootsect.S, Setup.S: One answer and a different question

Hi,

> 2. Near line 272 we have "movw    $7, %bx" but the
> documentation I've
>     been able to find about the "int 0x13" BIOS call
> says that for service
>     code 0xe (write character and advance cursor), it
> does not take an
>     attribute byte input parameter but rather uses the
> existing attribute. Is
>     this movw instruction superfluous ?

Firstly it is not "int 0x13", rather it is 0x10.

In the doc I have read (Ralf Brown's Interrupt List) says that BH = page
number, BL = foreground color (graphics modes only).

So bh = 0 -> page attiribute; bl = 7 foreground color, in this case "white".
-----------

I am also examining bootsect.S & setup.S especially for bzImage. There is a
point i dont understand. In fact i understand a bit but i am not sure.

Int15 - ah = 87 in setup.S works only if the disk has been read from 64K.

Let's say the kernel size (Only system not included bootsect or setup. I
know a bit optimistic but it is fictitious) 902 sector. 64K = 128 sector so
902 - 128 * 7 = 6 sector remain. This means we dont have enough sector to
move kernel from con. mem to extended mem. In this situation as far as i
understand, some extra data from floppy are being moved disk to mem to meet
required size (64K) and after kernel are loaded, this extra data is
discarded. Is it correct? (I assumed the above scenario because i dont find
find any code samples in the sources doing required control in the related
subject)

Ps: Kernel: 2.4.19

Sory for my bad english.

Bora Sahin