2.4.17: differences in arch/i386/kernel/entry.S ???

Dear all,

in arch/i386/kernel/entry.S exist lcall7 and lcall27.  However, I do
not understand why the same coding -- except for pushl $0x07 in lcall7
and the respective pushl $0x27 in lcall27 -- is written.   As written
in the subject, I refer currently 2.4.17.

The real issue why I am writing: The Interrupts and exception handling
is not fully clear to me in Linux on a ia32.

I know the IDT has to be setup.  setup.c handles this, if I correctly
remember.  But where is the code stored?  I do not find the Assembler
or C Code for the timer, the serial line 1 etc.  for example.

I assume that the IRQ/exception handling works the following way that
the function-pointers stored in the IDT direct the execution to
wrapper which prepare a unified stack layout.  Then the execution is
continued at a unified assembler function that dispatches the call to
the real ISRs.  Am I wrong?

In short, does anyone know full sequence of steps that take place when
an interrupt is raised either in kernel or in user mode?  Which
functions get called, and, where are they stored in the source code?

Thanks in advance for any help!

wbr,
Lukas
--