Searching for an mmap-HOWTO

Hi, folks.

I've spent a couple of days on reading about - and trying - algorithms, that provide data transport from kernel to userland, and vice versa. I wrote simple modules, using the 'standard' methods (device file & driver, /proc file system, rtlinux fifo's), and I got a very sexy code example from a friend, that relies on the mmap technique. The file is called 'lincap.c', GPL2, with Copyright (c) 2002 Gianni Tedesco, and provides a simple network sniffer. Its implementation is impressive: do socket-setsockopt-mmap-bind, and yor are online with your networking traffic.
Now, I have to write a conveying systems application, not a tcpdump, so I searched for informations about the kernel-side techniques, that typically support such a kind of data propagation, about the principles behind that - and I became desparate upon this task.
I ask you, the community, to give me hints, code examples, documentation, or pointers to all of that, pleeeeassse :-)

Thx in advance
Michael

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/