Initializing PCI device after bootup

Hi,
I would like to know whether it is possible to probe a PCI card after bootup.

The exact schenario is explained as follows:
I have a PCI card on the Host machine running linux. The PCI card itself is an intelligent device having another processor running another RTOS.
Linux during boot-up (PCI device driver -firmware) scans all the PCI cards and allocates the resources.

But I want to boot the PCI card without booting the host CPU.
My doubt is  : After the PCI card boots up it will initialize the PCI configuration registers with the same values, is the memory resources (IO/memory) which were allocated earlier are still valid OR to be allocated again?
Does a PCI configuration cycles required? If Yes, how it can be achieved?

Can I have description specifying what all happens in a PCI device initialization?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anj