Setup.S query

Dear all,

I have turned off the RTF format in my hotmail account ,hope this
message appears in plain text ,if not some one who know how to turn off
HTML formatting in hotmail kindly tell me how to do it.

I have the follwing few queries in setup.S,please help !

a) If it is big kernel ,it is loaded at 1 MB but in real mode we can
access only up to 1 MB then how is it loaded above 1 MB ? i guess
i made some mistake in understanding the code here.

b) The code for loading the GDT address and limit in GDTR
is

.word 0x800 ! gdt limit=2048, 256 GDT entries
.word 512+gdt,0x9 ! gdt base = 0X9xxxx

why add 512 to gdt ?

c) All the interrupts are masked of during the programming of PIC-8259,but
before this itself the IDTR is loaded with a base and limit value 0,now
if an interrupt occurs between the loading of IDTR with the
above base and limit values and programming the PIC ,won't it result in
an exception ? i mean is it not necessary to mask off the interrupts
before loading IDTR.

d) Next i am planning to go thru head.S but i can find two head.S

ie

arch/i386/boot/compressed/head.S
arch/i386/kernel/head.S

why two head.S ,which one should i go thru first ?

Thanks for all the help received earlier

gkumar

Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/