Re: How does OS recognise a driver for a device.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 09:24:36AM -0800, Ravi wrote:

> --- Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  It doesn't :)
> >
> > Um, yes, it can know this :)
> >
> > See the hotplug documentation at http://linux-hotplug.sf.net/
> > which shows how the kernel can automatically load modules
> > when it sees devices of different types.  The PCI, USB,
> > and a few other subsystems already do this.
>
>  Even with hotplug, the kernel doesn't know which
> driver to load, isn't that right? From what I understand,
> the hotplug user mode agents have to be configured to
> pick the right driver for a given card (based on the
> information given by the kernel).
>  What I tried to say in my earlier mail was: Kernel
> can't pick the driver for a given device. Instead,
> it associates devices with drivers when a driver
> is loaded. Is that statement correct?

Yes, that is correct.

But I was trying to point out that the kernel drivers (which are part of
the kernel) know what devices they support.  And the kernel knows what
devices it sees on a specific bus (PCI, USB, etc.)  So it's up to
/sbin/hotplug to put the two together automatically.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h