Benefits of in-kernel services

Hi all,

Can anyone give me an idea of how significant the benifits are of implementing
network applications in the kernel as opposed to doing so in userspace? It'd
be really nice if somebody has numbers related to this sort of thing as well.

Judging by initial reviews of the in-kernel Tux webserver, which supposedly
outperformed Apache by upto 3 times fetching a mixture of static and dynamic
content, it really _does_ make a difference to do implement things in the
kernel. If this is true, then what kind of overheads really make the differnce?
In the case of Tux/khttpd/Apache, in particular?

I guess copying buffers to/from uspace wouldn't figure since presumably, for
static pages, most uspace webservers'd use sendfile() or something like that...?

Thanks,
Sapan