Re: HELP: kernel_thread

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 03:28:23PM -0800, Galchin Vasili wrote:
> 1) Are kernel threads pre-emptible? Have time quantum? (When I start a
> long i/o request in the driver my mouse and kde lock up. After done,
> then OK).

This depends on kernel version and .configure options. 2.4 kernels in
general don't have pre-emptible kernel threads -- however, when waiting
for disk IO, or (possibly) memory allocation, your thread may be put to
sleep to allow some other process to run. But, that happens rarely. If
you are about to perform long-running tasks, you should explicitately
schedule() to give other processes a chance to run.

(See akpm's lowlatency patches for examples.)

--
It seems the power has been robbed from the founding fathers and is now
firmly in the hand of the funding fathers -- Rik van Riel