When is /etc/fstab called?

I was wondering if someone could clarify this behavior.

Recently I created a custom kernel which calls a custom "init" script. While
debugging the "strange" behavior I discovered that Linux processed
/etc/fstab and mounted the root file-system specified before "init" was
called. This was unfortunate since I was trying to reformat the device that
was now mysteriously mounted.

Why does the kernel behave this way? If the init script needs to pivot_root
and chroot before the new root can be used, why process fstab? Although
mount reported the "new" root, it appears that the RAM disk version is still
being used.

Thank you,
Confused