Re: newbie

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:44:34PM -0800, Venkat Raghu wrote:
> 1) Where should I change my code. How should I compile
> my changes?

The changes you make go wherever you like. My kernel modifications are
kept in ~/work/; other people like /usr/src/linux/* or similar, but it
requires some level of root permissions to modify the directory much,
and I try to do as little with root as possible.

For compiling your changes, you can follow the directions as located in
the Kernel HOWTO. It is exactly the same as compiling the mainline
kernel.

> 2) How to boot up my linux machine with new image.

Hardware and system dependent. I think Red Hat uses grub these days, so
a quick read of the Grub HOWTO is a good idea. I bet grub and its
configuration file have manual pages -- man -k grub, and read the pages
listed.

> 3) If my new kernel image is not good enough for my
> machine to come up, then what is the method to tell
> linux machine to use some backup image incase...

This depends on how badly you screwed up the kernel. :) If you just made
little mistakes, grub or lilo will be able to keep backup kernel images.
If you made big mistakes and yourr system isn't bootable with different
kernel images, then you might wish to use a system such as mondo to
restore your system from backup. Or keep your system changes in CVS or
something like that.

Have fun. :) Oh yeah, don't forget to browse the links from the
kernelnewbies.org website. :)

--
http://www.wirex.com/