Re: kernel compilation

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:09:54 -0700 (PDT)
nitin panjwani <nitin_rpr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Arnold,
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> How can I check the compiler proble. Will the
> installing new gcc from gnu.org solve the problem.
> I think this nay be reason ..my current installation
> shows my machine as i586.. but I know it is K6-2.
>
> For memory I have never faced problem with any other
> program.. yeah mu x systems get killed couple of times
> and my linux works very slow.

Hello Nitin,

As for the compiler, from what you say, it may be that you are choosing
the wrong CPU type upon make menuconfig/xconfig/whatever. Under
Processor Type and Features what you are looking for is
"K6/K6-II/K6-III".

In fact, the only time I've experienced this was actually due to bad
memory and considering your X crashes randomly then the odds are
on that. Well, if it's just bad memory, it's not that problematic I
guess, memory is quite cheap these days..

Following Seth Arnold's advice, grab memtest86 from
http://www.memtest86.com and follow the instructions. Basically it just
produces a bootable kernel image which you load into lilo or grub or
whatever bootloader you use. Then it's quite intuitive and it will tell
you if you do have bad RAM chips in your system. I've ran it myself a
couple of days ago cuz one of my test machines had the exact same
problem and it indeed turned out to be bad RAM.

Ah, by the way, when you paste error output, try to be more incisive, by
showing us only a few lines before the error and the error itself but
not the whole compiler output ;)

Best regards,

	-- Paulo Andre' aka fscked